Welcome to the official website of the
Tennessee State Chapter!
P.E.O. is an international philanthropic organization that promotes educational opportunities for women.
The P.E.O. Sisterhood was founded in 1869 by seven visionary young women on the campus of Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Their desire to expand the bonds of friendship beyond their college days resulted in a contemporary organization where women celebrate the advancement of women; educate women through scholarships, grants, awards, loans, and the stewardship of Cottey College; and motivate each other to achieve our highest aspirations.
Today there are nearly a quarter of a million members in local chapters throughout the United States and Canada. Since 1907 we have helped over 90,000 women with scholarships, grants, and loans totaling over $235 million.
P.E.O. came to Tennessee with the organization of Chapter A in Memphis in 1934. Twenty-two years later, Tennessee State Chapter was organized (1956). As of April 2013 the Volunteer State has 54 local chapters and 2,137 active members.
Thanks to the efforts of our local chapters, Tennessee State Chapter has achieved eleven years of continuous growth. We have much to be proud of as we continue to give the gift of membership and advance women’s education by donating to our educational projects and identifying potential recipients.
Tennessee State Chapter of the P.E.O. Sisterhood—we honor our past and embrace the future!